Asparaginase erwinia chrysanthemi (By injection)
Asparaginase Erwinia Chrysanthemi (as-PAR-a-jin-ase er-WIN-ee-ah kri-SAN-them-ee)
Treats acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).
ErwinazeThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to asparaginase Erwinia chrysanthemi, or if you had bleeding problems, blood clots, or pancreas problems from prior treatment with asparaginase.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle or through a needle placed a vein.
- You will receive this medicine while you are in a hospital or cancer treatment center. A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor, home health caregiver, or treatment clinic for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or you have liver disease, bleeding or blood clotting problems, or diabetes.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Bleeding or blood clotting problems
- Increased blood sugar levels
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, or coughing up blood
- Dry mouth, increased hunger, thirst, or urination
- Numbness or weakness in your arm or leg, or on one side of your body, pain or swelling in your calf
- Sudden and severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, lightheadedness
- Sudden or severe headache, problems with vision, speech, or walking
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/18/2019