Ephedrine (By injection)
Treats low blood pressure caused by other medicines. Also used to improve breathing.
Akovaz, PremierPro Rx Ephedrine Sulfate, ePHEDrine Sulfate, ePHEDrine Sulfate NovaplusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to ephedrine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot under your skin, into a muscle, or into a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how ephedrine works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Atropine, digoxin, guanethidine, mephentermine, methoxamine, phenylephrine, quinidine, reserpine, or theophylline
- An MAO inhibitor
- Blood pressure medicine
- Ergot medicine
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, enlarged prostate, thyroid problems, or a history of stroke.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat, sweating
- Shallow breathing, pale or blue skin
- Tremors, anxiety, nervousness, dizziness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/18/2019